Saturday, 4 June 2011

Roaming with Rumi

I was dead, but came back to life.
I was the cry, but I became the smile.
Love came and turned me into everlasting glory.

Here's how it happened:
 
He said to me, "You don't belong in this house.
You're not nearly crazy enough."

I went and became raving mad and bound myself in chains.

He said to me, "You're not drunk. Get lost.
You're not from this land."

I went and got pie-eyed drunk and filled my life with music and dance.

He said to me, "You've never annihilated yourself so music and dance can't touch you."
I passed out of myself right in front of him and fell to the ground.

He said to me, "You're a sensible, learned man,
full of reflections and opinions."

I became a silly fool and cut myself off from people.

He said to me, "You're a candle,
the light to these people."

I gave them all up.
I became smoke and spread myself around.

He said to me, "You're the sheikh, the head,
the one who walks at the front, the guide."

I told him that I'm neither sheikh nor guide.
I am the follower of your order.

He said to me, "You have arms and wings.
I don't give anything to you."

I told him that I desire his wings so that I can cut mine.

His glory then spoke to me and said,
"Don't give up now. You're almost there.
I'll soon grant you the favor you seek and come to you."


And so he said to me, "O old love of mine, don't ever get out from under my arm."
And I said, "Yes," and I stayed there. 
 
Photo credit: www.almirajsuficentre.org.au

No comments:

Post a Comment